Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Royal Fleet Auxiliary (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Fort boats being sold (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5437)

Apple82 2nd November 2021 00:00

Fort boats being sold

I see reports that the Austin and Grange(!!!) are being sold to Egypt. They're not youngsters, but I don't feel they are ready for the scrap yard, so this is good news.

Tomvart 7th November 2021 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple82 (Post 40472)
I see reports that the Austin and Grange(!!!) are being sold to Egypt. They're not youngsters, but I don't feel they are ready for the scrap yard, so this is good news.

Apple82, such great news that these 2 venerable old girls will see further service rather than the ignominious scrappers torch, FG86 posted on here that they were in good condition for ships that had been laid up for so long, I wonder how much the Egyptians are paying for them?

MikeGDH 7th November 2021 03:00

I'm sure this has been posted here before, but the book "A Great Fleet of Ships" by S.C. Heal is a mighty good read/reference for all who may have sailed on, or are just interested in the history of these Canadian -Built vessels.
Mike

Tomvart 7th November 2021 23:48

Mike, I think the poster was referring to the Fort Rosalie class replenishment ships which were built in the late 70's - both built by Scott Lithgow in Greenock, rather than the wartime Fort Class which I think were tankers of the 1940's?

Dartskipper 9th November 2021 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomvart (Post 40534)
Mike, I think the poster was referring to the Fort Rosalie class replenishment ships which were built in the late 70's - both built by Scott Lithgow in Greenock, rather than the wartime Fort Class which I think were tankers of the 1940's?

Those Forts were a program of standard cargo ships named "Fort xxx" or "xxxx Park."

They were built in Canada to a British design, and supplemented the more famous Liberty ships built in the USA. My Dad's last ship at the end of the War was the Fort Spokane which was originally built and named as one of the "Park" ships. Dad was 2nd Mate, running supplies and Bedford lorries to Poland after the Armistice. The Bedfords all had tool kits supplies with them, and I still have a few ring spanners in the shed that are a testament to their quality!!

Regards.

Apple82 10th November 2021 09:36

The 1940s era Fort class RFAs were solid stores ships. Forts Langley, Beauharnois, Duquesne, Sandusky, Rosalie ......

MikeGDH 11th November 2021 04:42

Forts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomvart (Post 40534)

OOOPPPSSS!!! Yes, my mistake.....too many Forts!
Mike.;)