Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Recipes & Cooking (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   How do you like your coffee? (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=3112)

Dredger 5th August 2018 00:05

How do you like your coffee?

I like a medium roast, fresh brewed with cream and sugar. Later in the day if I have some leftover in the pot I will drink it black, cold with no cream and sugar.

YM-Mundrabilla 5th August 2018 03:01

One of life's mysteries to me.
Bought one of those Nespresso coffee pod machine thingys a year or two ago where there are a million different coffee pods to pick from.
Still trying to work out which I like best.
Even lined four test cups up on the bench one day which I tried and then graded on a bit of paper.
Lost the paper and now back where I started. :jester:
Any suggestions anyone - other than to drink tea instead?

Geoff (YM) :wave:
'They all taste the same to me'

Malcolm G 5th August 2018 08:35

One day, while still at work, I was in a strange town and took a recommendation for somewhere to get a snack - I was in uniform.
I walked up to the counter, looked at the staggering list of variations, hand on chin.
Lady behind counter waited a moment and said: "You want an Americano with milk" - This was not couched as a question.
I said: "I do?"
She said: "Yes." and then proceeded to tell me what foodstuffs I should have.
She was right, it was good.

But, as Geoff says, they mostly taste the same to me. It must be my age and a jaded pallet.

Jolly Jack 5th August 2018 09:22

When I was very young and visiting my home town of South Shields every Easter and Summer holidays, I used to really like my Aunt Nell's percolated coffee with full cream milk and sugar. I have never been able to get coffee so nice since. Talking about it to Leratty, a member once on SN and he a coffee/tea importer, several bean types and blends were recommended. I bought a grinder and tried these types, and I started to develop a taste of the different ones but, while nice, they didn't match up to Aunt Nell's.
Then Mrs JJ and I happened upon a small café in an antique and collectors mall and their coffee was fabulous - well to me anyway. It was/is blended and called Tilley Green from a company would you believe, only half a mile from where we live. We now get only that.
One of the coffees recommended by Leratty is Blue Mountain from Jamaica and its good if expensive - not that 'Tilly' is cheap!

JJ.

BobClay 5th August 2018 09:54

Wonderful with a shot of Irish cream liqueur, Baileys, Carolans or even supermarket brands.

Engine Serang 5th August 2018 10:14

I read somewhere that the milk in Baileys crosses the border 5 times between udder and bottle. Stock up before Brexit causes mayhem and withdrawal symptoms. Coffee without Baileys is like Shaw without Savill.

Dredger 5th August 2018 12:43

I find myself pouring a cup before the pot is even done brewing. I might be addicted? If I put some Bailys irish cream or Kahlua in it this early in the morning, I would not get much done.

Engine Serang 5th August 2018 13:32

And if you put enough in you will get nothing done.

Dredger 5th August 2018 13:58

Thats for sure, today Sunday morning I was out of my berth @ 5:00 am I did not even have a job to do this morning. Yesterday I was up and adam @ 3:15 am but made a few cash bucks. It is currently 7:57 am I am on my 3rd cup. I never go to Starbucks that place is a ripoff. $4.00 US for a cup of coffee.

Dartskipper 5th August 2018 17:42

I like my coffee in a mug.

I hate Starbucks, I've never enjoyed any coffee from any of their outlets. It's either too bitter, too stewed, too hot, or just plain awful.

Jolly Jack 6th August 2018 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartskipper (Post 17057)
I like my coffee in a mug.

I hate Starbucks, I've never enjoyed any coffee from any of their outlets. It's either too bitter, too stewed, too hot, or just plain awful.

Me too, Roy. Them's and Costa's have a bitter taste to me. B&Q in Crew and Chester have great coffee though (lol) and good bacon baps (buns). Mrs JJ likes a sausage!! I've heard B&Q sell other stuff as well.......

JJ.

Engine Serang 6th August 2018 12:18

Without prejudice it is believed Mrs JJ is a very lucky lady!

Malcolm G 6th August 2018 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Jack (Post 17074)
Me too, Roy. Them's and Costa's have a bitter taste to me. B&Q in Crew and Chester have great coffee though (lol) and good bacon baps (buns). Mrs JJ likes a sausage!! I've heard B&Q sell other stuff as well.......

JJ.

Messrs Block and Quayle have decided that in future your diamond discount card will NOT get 10% off everything on Wednesdays, but it will still work in the garden department and.... The coffee shop.

Dartskipper 6th August 2018 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G (Post 17078)
Messrs Block and Quayle have decided that in future your diamond discount card will NOT get 10% off everything on Wednesdays, but it will still work in the garden department and.... The coffee shop.

All is well in the World...….:hippy:

Farmer John 6th August 2018 22:49

All instant coffee has become dreadful. Brewing proper coffee is a no-no, the machine is my wife's, touch at your peril. Used to enjoy Earl Grey tea, then they changed it. Boiled water is fine.

Dredger 7th August 2018 02:34

I only use instant Coffee when I go camping with a tent. Realisticly that has been about 12 years ago, I have all the camping gear. Camping is fun. But the Coffee tastes like Sh...

Malcolm G 7th August 2018 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dredger (Post 17109)
I only use instant Coffee when I go camping with a tent. Realisticly that has been about 12 years ago, I have all the camping gear. Camping is fun. But the Coffee tastes like Sh...

Or the old gag:
"Waiter, this coffee taste like earth"
"This is possible sir, it was ground this morning"

Malcolm G 7th August 2018 08:39

For a reasonably instant there are a few instant/ground coffees available.
Kenco Millicano and Lavazza Prontissimo are both quite drinkable.

Farmer John 7th August 2018 09:28

Thanks for that, I will try them.

Jolly Jack 7th August 2018 09:32

Slightly off thread, when I was first diagnosed with Tinnitus, about 28 years ago, I was advised to only drink decaf coffee and tea and no alcohol. The no alcohol didn't bother me as I hardly drank any but I stuck to the awful decaf regime for a couple of years. After then, I thought "Don't let it beat you, Johnnie" and went back to ordinary and have not found the noises affected for the worse at all.

JJ.

John Rogers 12th September 2020 17:33

Just read this thread about coffee, better late than never as the saying goes. Ref post#4, I drink a lot of coffee and have tried many different brands and blends but have to say the Jamaican Coffee is the top of my list for taste and aroma.

Farmer John 12th September 2020 17:38

Milk and sugar? If so, why not drink them separately?

rogd 12th September 2020 20:16

I've got one of those Aeropress contraptions and I have to say it makes a darn good brew.
It seems to work better with a fine ground coffee.
I use Lavazza D'oro in it.
Certainly sorts me out in the morning.
Roger.:big_tongue:

Dave McGouldrick 13th September 2020 11:01

Bellarom Gold £2.39 for half Kilo from Lidl's. Brewed in a cafetiere. If it ends up too cold, nuke it in the microwave.
Sometimes I just love beinga Philistine........

Varley 13th September 2020 11:41

I make a 9 mug batch by cafetiere from locally roast home ground beans. I then nuke it a mug at a time. Usually just two every morning. 1st when having the morning crap. 2nd with the prebath surfing and Emailing session (ie Now).