Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Mess Deck (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   another collision in the channel (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=685)

billyboy 1st July 2017 12:34

another collision in the channel

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-40467221#_=_

Tmac1720 1st July 2017 14:55

Probably a rhetorical question but how does this happen with collision avoidance systems on both ships and bridge watch keeping?.......... oh wait I've probably answered my own question, the crew need to be awake and preferably on the bridge on watch.

Gulpers 1st July 2017 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac1720 (Post 5644)
Probably a rhetorical question but how does this happen with collision avoidance systems on both ships and bridge watch keeping?.......... oh wait I've probably answered my own question, the crew need to be awake and preferably on the bridge on watch.

Probably still filling in risk assessments and not paying any attention to the important stuff! :shock:

Chadburn 1st July 2017 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulpers (Post 5649)
Probably still filling in risk assessments and not paying any attention to the important stuff! :shock:

It would not be the first time an incident has occurred due to filling in paperwork when on Watch.

Dartskipper 1st July 2017 22:39

Or watching the game on TV.

Farmer John 2nd July 2017 13:30

Well, OK, these things have happened, but if I was going through the Channel sat on several thousands of tons of petrol, I'd have a quick scan round every five minutes or so.

billyboy 3rd July 2017 00:48

need s sign posting in the aproaches " full ahead, turn the wheel, one way round, No bumping" ha ha

Tom Alexander 3rd July 2017 08:07

I really think they are going to have to put concrete dividers to mark the vessal separation system's traffic lanes. :huh:

Malcolm G 3rd July 2017 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 5700)
I really think they are going to have to put concrete dividers to mark the vessal separation system's traffic lanes. :huh:

Just like a dual carriageway road?
It does not stop one vehicle running into the back of another when they are going in the same direction, as these ships were.:smoking:

Varley 3rd July 2017 10:57

Would they have been in the Channel VTS? Any record of HM coastguard trying to intervene?

I notice we armchair experts aren't quite so tart with two merchantmen involved rather than a nasty US warship and one of our brethren.

Tom Alexander 4th July 2017 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G (Post 5701)
Just like a dual carriageway road?
It does not stop one vehicle running into the back of another when they are going in the same direction, as these ships were.:smoking:

Maybe the brake lights weren't working on the one in front? Seriously, wan't aware they we travelling in the same direction - It appears that once again the Mark I eyeball wasn't working properly. :confused:

sibby 4th July 2017 14:37

One lovely sunny summers morning I was on Everards Smultaneity heading south off Sheringham Norfolk when the mate and I looked aft and saw a ship bearing down on us, heading for our stern. We had to alter course to get out of its way. We looked at the bridge as it was passing and there was nobody on the bridge. Then somebody came out of the accommodation from under the bridge saw us and waved, oblivious of the near miss. This was in 1965.

Dartskipper 5th July 2017 21:53

On a dark night in the Dover Straits in October 1974, I was on the wheel of a 76 ft yacht, Orcella, heading West. We were ketch rigged, with a very tall mainmast that had a large reflector as well as lots of other stuff that would have sent back a decent echo, as well as a pretty powerful set of navigation lights including the obligatory one on the stern. We had the Radar working, and I noticed a large echo dead astern, and closing. We were motoring at around 10 knots, (twin diesel motors,) and I had to take evasive action as the freighter overtook us, without altering course, or even signalling that we were possibly hampering his progress.

I think some vessels just don't bother keeping a proper lookout in restricted waters.

"Full ahead and damn the consequences."

Farmer John 6th July 2017 16:31

My onetime boss referred to his Dad as a "Cheque-book reverser". This is fine if you have the money, but I would have thought maritime insurance would soon shut you down.