Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Aviation (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Aviation Fan (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=45)

Alfred Ford 18th April 2017 17:05

Aviation Fan

A very pleasant surprise to find an Aviation Forum in Shipping History. I look forward to lots of posts!

Steve 18th April 2017 18:01

Test 747

1 Attachment(s)
SFO years ago, when I had a real job.

Biggles Wader 18th April 2017 18:10

I have an old motheaten photo of my son sitting in the cockpit of the yellow prototype De Havilland Mosquito at the Salisbury Hall museum.I wonder if they still allow kids to do that?

billyboy 19th April 2017 03:18

A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great new site has to offer. we look forward to your many postings

Alfred Ford 20th April 2017 14:37

That's what I mean...!!

John Rogers 20th April 2017 16:09

I spent 10 of my 30 years of army service in Army Aviation,look forward to looking at some aircraft.

Chadburn 20th April 2017 20:12

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Rogers (Post 355)
I spent 10 of my 30 years of army service in Army Aviation,look forward to looking at some aircraft.

This is what they are flying now John around N.Yorkshire too.

John Rogers 21st April 2017 12:04

Thanks for the photo Chad. I will have to get busy and dig out some old aircraft photos I have.

Its also nice to see the Health Thread.:)

Chadburn 21st April 2017 12:23

1 Attachment(s)
Mind you John we also had one of these flying around, never mind Russian vessels doing the Channel crawl.

Tom Alexander 22nd April 2017 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles Wader (Post 160)
I have an old motheaten photo of my son sitting in the cockpit of the yellow prototype De Havilland Mosquito at the Salisbury Hall museum.I wonder if they still allow kids to do that?

I don't mean any offense, but your first name? "Biggles" is quite different!.

When I was a young lad I had a real yen for some books like, Biggles Flies East, Biggles Flies West, etc. There was quite a series and if I remember rightly Squadron Leader Biggles had many adventures chasing spies, etc., always in his aircraft.

You wouldn't perhaps be named after him?

Also Salisbury brings back memories -- spent time on the Plain in Army cadet camps -- once had a demonstration flight display of a couple of Meteors, a Canberra? (flying a lot closer than would be expected at a civilian display) and also a small observation plane which the pilot put nose up and then actually flew down and backwards for a bit before powering up and continuing in forward flight.

billyboy 22nd April 2017 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 158)
SFO years ago, when I had a real job.

Fair play to you Steve. Thats a big bird to maneuver on the ground.loved flying in those. not so keen on the ones used today. The 747 was a great Aircraft.

Alan Baker 24th April 2017 15:25

Aviation on a shipping forum? The perfect place for BOAC-Cunard (or Cunard Eagle).

Varley 24th April 2017 16:41

A Sunderland?

Dartskipper 24th April 2017 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varley (Post 940)
A Sunderland?

What about a Sopwith "One and a half strutter"?

They flew them off warships in WWI.

bubba 26th April 2017 19:17

nice one great to see aviation & shipping (i spent 22 yrs refueling a/c ) at many airports

ssr481 27th April 2017 03:43

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfred Ford (Post 155)
A very pleasant surprise to find an Aviation Forum in Shipping History. I look forward to lots of posts!

I'm not surprised.. gladly heartened actually.. I volunteer with two warbirds, one of which is local to me..