Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Computers and The Internet (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   OpenSea Map (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5546)

Sparkie2182 4th October 2022 08:51

OpenSea Map

1 Attachment(s)
Fot anyone unfamiliar......

An excellent real time site..... world wide coverage of everything of interest to marine enthusiasts.

http://map.openseamap.org/

Malcolm G 4th October 2022 11:05

Nice one Sparkie - another site for my bookmarks.:thumb:

Varley 4th October 2022 13:24

Yes a good site indeed. I will not, however, forgive them for getting my house wrong but MacDonald's right! Rosemount indeed! That's a rather insalubrious pub.

Sparkie2182 4th October 2022 15:28

........named after Favershams best friend.

Varley 4th October 2022 16:14

A Miss Mount? Doesn't sound likely but someone has asked for chest binders to be put on GD's slop-chest list. Buit then again you know him better than the rest of us.

(It does remain of mild interest what was the source of the wrong information and if they would be interested in such an error).

Engine Serang 4th October 2022 16:14

Great site but doesn't show my house at all. I will consult my MP, the Hon Sammy Wilson. Expect a NTM soon.

Tomvart 5th October 2022 16:22

Excellent site Sparkie, many thanks for sharing - now waiting for the Notice To Mariners from the hydrographic office for ES' house location.

Do they come by email rather than post these days - or is it simply a software update?

Varley 5th October 2022 17:58

I will be cross if NSWSs do not correct mine before NTMs correct that of E-S!

(I suppose the problem isn't that yours is mobile is it E-S? A little ethnic caravan in which you and Mrs E-S migrate between winter and summer bothies? Perhaps you should have used the AIS overlay).

Sparkie2182 5th October 2022 18:23

Excellent site Sparkie, many thanks for sharing.

Very welcome.

Varley 5th October 2022 23:34

...thou winter wind...

Engine Serang 6th October 2022 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomvart (Post 46834)
Excellent site Sparkie, many thanks for sharing - now waiting for the Notice To Mariners from the hydrographic office for ES' house location.

Do they come by email rather than post these days - or is it simply a software update?

Rest easy young man, scissors and Pritt Stick still have a place in the modern chartroom.

Sparkie2182 6th October 2022 10:19

Mostly "Pratt Sticks" in there.

:)
:)

Malcolm G 6th October 2022 10:24

Pritt Stick? - that sounds a bit too modern for me.

FWIW - I note that it shows a ferry route from Weymouth to CI (last ran about 5 years ago) so maybe some of it is bit loose.

Ron Stringer 6th October 2022 12:16

No Pritt Sticks in my time, it was the horrible Gloy pot with a brush through the lid.

Tomvart 6th October 2022 12:41

I used to draw on by hand 99% of my chart corrections from NTM using a Rotring Isograph pen in the 70's and early 80's. Probably sounds quite nerdy - but I used to get a great deal of enjoyment from doing those 1000's of chart corrections - kind of therapeutic working in a quite charthouse.

The booklet of corrections and the chart templates used to arrive onboard by mail back then, looking at the Admiralty Maritime Data Solution (UKHO) website today, I see that the weekly notices are now downloadable and that paper charts are due to be withdrawn from production from 2026.

NickJNZ 6th October 2022 13:42

One has to wonder, when the inevitable power cuts, or power outages, occur, how will the current generation manage?
Their first thought, will probably be for the loss of social media. Before thinking of the lack of a chart.

I still recall the worldwide Y2K panic!

Dartskipper 7th October 2022 00:16

All charts will be out of date when the sea level rises thirty feet in the future.

Thirty feet? Thirty Millimetres? Thirty Centimetres? Thirty inches? 0.5 of a Fathom?

Whatever.

Engine Serang 7th October 2022 06:42

Don't mention Fathoms in case the Brexiters hear you. Metres are a fiendish EU measure designed to do down our fishing fleet.