Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Mess Deck (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Disaster waiting to happen. (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5214)

Julian N 25th November 2020 17:10

Disaster waiting to happen.

I saw a BBC report this morning that a storage tanker the FSO Safer (360m long, 400000dwt) carrying over 1 million barrels of crude, has been moored but abandoned off Yemen in the Red Sea for over 5 years. The Houthi rebels have denied any access during this time so no maintenance has been carried out. She is 45 years old!.
The UN have been trying to arrange access for years and finally hope to have an inspection done in the New Year. That could just be the start of further problems if the ship is deteriorating, while arguments are still ongoing between the rebels and Yemeni Govt. regarding cargo ownership.
The environmental disaster could be immense in a country ravaged by years of war with no resources to deal with it.
We all know with ships it is out of sight out of mind. Lets hope in this case a disaster is not what gets peoples attention!

Tim Gibbs 26th November 2020 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian N (Post 35069)
I saw a BBC report this morning that a storage tanker the FSO Safer (360m long, 400000dwt) carrying over 1 million barrels of crude, has been moored but abandoned off Yemen in the Red Sea for over 5 years. The Houthi rebels have denied any access during this time so no maintenance has been carried out. She is 45 years old!.
The UN have been trying to arrange access for years and finally hope to have an inspection done in the New Year. That could just be the start of further problems if the ship is deteriorating, while arguments are still ongoing between the rebels and Yemeni Govt. regarding cargo ownership.
The environmental disaster could be immense in a country ravaged by years of war with no resources to deal with it.
We all know with ships it is out of sight out of mind. Lets hope in this case a disaster is not what gets peoples attention!

That makes uncomfortable reading :angry:

Malcolm G 26th November 2020 13:11

I have just read that the Houthi authorities have at last consented to an inspection.
UN hope to get people and equipment on site Jan/Feb next year.
That suggests that the UN were not exactly ready to go.

Varley 26th November 2020 13:34

I doubt the UN have an operational arm ready to spring into action at the drop of a blue beret. I don't have a clue how it does work but imagine they will co-opt a commercial concern under the management of a member state (and I might well exclude the UK. SOSREP's salvage of Napoli was an excellent example with Robin Middleton himself leading the team, I have had experience of another team, still in 'his time' and was less than impressed). Perhaps the USCG has a 'standing' ability but commercial salvors would surely have the stomach to go immediately providing the money is on the table. Anyone know?

Malcolm G 26th November 2020 14:27

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the article
https://gcaptain.com/houthis-approve...eid=54fc573c11

Varley 27th November 2020 01:51

Thanks ML. From that it appears the last intervention was under the aegis of the owners. Presuming Safer Corp to be that entity in some guise or other.

garryNorton 4th December 2020 18:29

I piloted ships alongside the Safer a few times when working as a pilot in Yeaman and it was a fairly strong and stout vessel but Yeaman Hunt did not like British pilots working there and wanted American Pilots.The tugs assisting were Dutch and very helpful not like Yeaman Hunt management who treated us with contempt. The crew on the Safer then were Italian and easy to get on with.In my time there we had a break out after warning the American supervisor that the in coming tanker and the Safer were over the tonnage for the terminal, the New York Office said it was okay.