Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Stormy Weather (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Cab driver and the Jap (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=221)

billyboy 30th April 2017 12:18

Cab driver and the Jap

A Filipino taxi driver picks up a Japanese tourist at NAIA......
Going along the SLEX, they saw a Honda motorcycle overtake and whizz past them
Japanese guy says "motorcycle very fast made in Japan"
Then a Toyota overtakes the taxi.
Japanese guy says "car very fast made in Japan"
Anyway they reach Alabang and the taxi fare was 2800 peso's
The Japanese man thought his fare would be a maximum of 500 Peso's for the short distance.
So he asks the taxi driver why the fare is so expensive.
Driver says "meter very fast made in Philippines"

Tom Alexander 23rd April 2018 07:03

A friend of mine was in Mumbai a couple of months ago and was impressed by the business acumen of one taxi driver who had a sign on the side of his car which read "This driver speaks English".

I said "That's a heck of a good idea - we should try that in Vancouver."

Farmer John 23rd April 2018 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 13547)
A friend of mine was in Mumbai a couple of months ago and was impressed by the business acumen of one taxi driver who had a sign on the side of his car which read "This driver speaks English".

Tom, it is spelt "Mumbles".

BobClay 23rd April 2018 13:31

I used to like those Sikh taxi drivers in Calcutta. They were very fair and reasonable. The only complaint was we had stop now and again to clean the blood and splintered pedestrian bones off the wind screen. :eek:

King Ratt 3rd May 2018 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 13547)

I thought the city had been renamed Hongcouver.

mary75 3rd May 2018 17:41

Most of the cab drivers here in Vancouver are East Indian. Excellent drivers. Lots of people from Hong Kong have bought property here.

Dartskipper 3rd May 2018 20:30

A lot of taxi drivers in Bedford are of various ethnicities. I find it best not to distract them by avoiding conversation. I also avoid them when driving myself. :sweat:

Tom Alexander 4th May 2018 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Ratt (Post 13705)
I thought the city had been renamed Hongcouver.

The question is raised - What is the major geographical feature between the Indians and the Chinese?? (If you thought is was the Himalayas you are incorrect) The correct answer is "The Fraser River". (You have to be familiar with the lower mainland of B.C. to understand that perhaps.) :king::king:

King Ratt 10th May 2018 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 13713)
The question is raised - What is the major geographical feature between the Indians and the Chinese?? (If you thought is was the Himalayas you are incorrect) The correct answer is "The Fraser River". (You have to be familiar with the lower mainland of B.C. to understand that perhaps.) :king::king:

Haha! I am familiar with the area,thanks. I also believe Richmond is now Ricemond.

Cheers

KR

Tom Alexander 11th May 2018 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Ratt (Post 13837)
Haha! I am familiar with the area,thanks. I also believe Richmond is now Ricemond.

Cheers

KR

And Surrey is known as New Delhi. :king:

Jolly Jack 20th May 2018 11:18

Back in the '60s in Gravesend, the new Northfleet Power Station was advertising for Turb'n Drivers!!

JJ.

gray_marian 11th July 2018 01:37

Speaking of cab drivers....www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjSSjhV5oh0

tugger 12th July 2018 02:39

Hi Marian.
Great picture, reminds me of the time a mate and I took over a Garry in Calcutta we scattered a few people.
Tugger
Ps Any idea why I still have to log in every time I want to post?

jg grant 12th July 2018 10:46

A suburb in South Auckland called Howick is now mutated into Chowick. Amusing but the Chinese will own the world by stealth in a few decades.

gray_marian 12th July 2018 12:12

Hi tugger, had to sign in twice myself this morning I thought it was just me:jester:

tugger 14th July 2018 01:56

Hi Marian.
Might be a bit of link problems.
Thanks Tugger

Farmer John 18th July 2018 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jg grant (Post 15959)
A suburb in South Auckland called Howick is now mutated into Chowick. Amusing but the Chinese will own the world by stealth in a few decades.

Marry one, then we can rule the world together.

tugger 19th July 2018 05:22

JG when I lived in Titirangi Howick was a very posh place with a scattering of Govt or Maori housing, can imagine the mix`there now.
Tugger