Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Mess Deck (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Business opportunity? (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=3976)

erimus 8th January 2019 17:49

Quote:

There might be a number of people here queuing to join that club.

Most of Forum methinks...apart from me,of course.

geoff

BobClay 8th January 2019 18:20

It's a fair cop. (But society is to blame.) :big_tongue:

Farmer John 8th January 2019 22:24

There was a certain scepticism about the virgin birth, but that turned out fine.

BobClay 8th January 2019 23:37

Some of you lot will be sceptical about a Flat Earth next, and bring some spherical nonsense.

BLASPHEMY BLASPHEMY !!!

(… and I'm not even going to bring up the obvious infinite stack of turtles.)

:big_tongue:

Engine Serang 9th January 2019 03:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by erimus (Post 20959)
Most of Forum methinks...apart from me,of course.

Indeed, they're all out of step except my wee Geoffrey.

Varley 9th January 2019 11:13

I was talking to a (successful) gentleman in the shipbroking line last night. I do hope I have been but neutral about Seabourne!

erimus 9th January 2019 11:28

Quote:

Indeed, they're all out of step except my wee Geoffrey.
My Mothers words exactly ES!
geoff

Farmer John 10th January 2019 17:45

What a fantastic thing this could be! If it comes off, I will hoist a large drink of the very best whisky to drink the health wealth and business acumen of the men behind this.

erimus 10th January 2019 19:29

Todays lunchtime bulletin from Lloyds Loading List ;_

Seaborne Freight, the company controversially awarded a UK government contract to run freight ferries between Ramsgate and Ostend in the event of a no-deal Brexit, has insisted it will be ready by the time the UK leaves the EU, despite claims to the contrary.

According to the BBC, the company yesterday reiterated that the services were due to commence in March after a report earlier in the day by the Financial Times indicated that the government had accepted in private that it would not be ready for Brexit. The company said: “We are now in the final phase of the project and we are approaching the point of signature with Ramsgate and Ostend, with services due to commence in March.”

The Department for Transport said it had confidence in the deliverability of the service, the BBC reported. Seaborne Freight was awarded the £13. 8 million contract last month as part of the UK government’s planning for a no-deal Brexit. It is one of three contracts worth a total £103 million, with the other two awarded to Brittany Ferries and DFDS.

The assurances come after the mayor of Ostend told the BBC that the Belgian port would not be ready for a new ferry line in time for 29 March, while a local councillor for the Ramsgate harbour area said the port at Ramsgate also could not be ready. Other reports have also questioned whether the company will be able to deliver the promised frequency of services, partly because of operational limitations at Ramsgate.

Earlier this week, the UK government confirmed that the Department for Transport (DfT) had been “undertaking a wide range of work to mitigate the impact on the transport system of a no-deal EU Exit”, while insisting that the ambition of government remained “to ensure an orderly exit from the EU”.

It added: “Whilst the government has made clear it is committed to ensuring frictionless movement across the UK border, the scale of the potential disruption to the Dover Straits, if additional customs checks were introduced in Calais, Coquelles and Dunkirk, where freight services disembark, could be very significant. Given the importance of these routes, contingency work is being undertaken to mitigate potential impacts and ensure that goods can continue to flow into and out of the UK as freely as possible.”

Chris Grayling, Secretary of State for Transport, commented: “A priority for government is to ensure that the Port of Dover and the Eurotunnel can continue to operate at the maximum possible capacity. The government is therefore working with both organisations and our French counterparts in Calais, Coquelles and Dunkirk so that any disruption or drop in throughput is managed effectively and mitigated.”

He insisted that “there is a clear willingness to reach agreements which secure the continued operation of these vital trade routes in all scenarios, and the government remains confident that there will not be major disruption to the flow of goods across the border. Nevertheless, the potential for a decline in throughput remains possible in a worst-case scenario, and the government is therefore planning for all eventualities.”

As one of several contingency measures being undertaken, the Department for Transport has completed a procurement process to secure additional ferry capacity between the UK and the EU, “which can be used for critical goods such as medical supplies in the event of disruption to cross-Channel crossings”.

While the contract with Seaborne is to operate a new route, the other two contracts went to established operators, Brittany Ferries and DFDS to provide for additional capacity between the UK and EU on existing routes, via the provision of additional services and additional vessels. The government explained that the routes agreed with Brittany and DFDS “are away from the Dover Straits, and will run from the Ports of Immingham and Felixstowe (DFDS) and Poole, Plymouth and Portsmouth (Brittany) to destinations in Germany (Cuxhaven), the Netherlands (Vlaardingen) and France (Caen, Cherbourg, Le Havre, and Roscoff).”

Grayling explained: “Seaborne Freight has been preparing for some time to operate services on this route. Seaborne and my department are also working closely with Thanet Council to ensure that Ramsgate Port is ready to take new services. A programme of work to prepare the infrastructure is underway.”

Nevertheless, the UK government acknowledged that all of the additional ferry freight services it has commissioned in these three contracts “will be equivalent to around 8% of normal flows across the Dover Straights”, adding. “Whilst this will not be sufficient to mitigate the full level of disruption possible in a worst-case scenario, it will enable the government to provide essential capacity for the highest priority goods including medical supplies.”

With freight and logistics operators and their representatives anticipating massive disruption in the event of a no-deal Brexit, especially to cross-Channel freight services, Lloyd’s Loading List today reported that air charter brokers are receiving more and more enquiries from freight forwarders about securing air cargo capacity to offset the potential repercussions of a ‘no deal’ Brexit on the supply chains of their shipper customers.

geoff

erimus 10th January 2019 19:35

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/busin...borne-freight/

Overcrewed perhaps?

geoff

Dartskipper 10th January 2019 20:39

The boss of the Port of Calais said Grayling is being disrespectful by setting up this new service. Jean-Marc Puissesseau said there won't be any delays on his side of the Channel anyway.

BobClay 11th January 2019 09:05

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go !!! In what was the Aral Sea a couple of fine looking vessels with hardly any miles on the clock. ALSO !! you buy one you get five free camels. They could come in useful when the lorries are all piled up on an old runway somewhere …. :sweat:

erimus 11th January 2019 11:34

Nice of you to post pictures of your last vessels Bob.

geoff

BobClay 11th January 2019 12:05

Actually that’s a picture of them being built in Camel Lairds .... (ARF ARF). (Get it ? ... I really should get paid for this sh1t.) :sweat:

Dartskipper 11th January 2019 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 21065)
Actually that’s a picture of them being built in Camel Lairds .... (ARF ARF). (Get it ? ... I really should get paid for this sh1t.) :sweat:

I'm glad you didn't call them "Ships of the Desert." AAaaaaaaaarrrrgh…….:sweat:

BobClay 11th January 2019 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartskipper (Post 21077)
I'm glad you didn't call them "Ships of the Desert." AAaaaaaaaarrrrgh…….:sweat:

I've been out-groanometered …. !!! :eek:

Tmac1720 12th January 2019 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 21080)
I've been out-groanometered …. !!! :eek:

Does that mean you've got the hump then? :supercool:

Farmer John 12th January 2019 16:27

Can you imagine a better example of procrastination?

"Naah, I'll sail out tomorrow, Plenty of water under her".

Farmer John 9th February 2019 22:05

That seems to score one for the cynics. I think, also one for some political shuffling.

BobClay 10th February 2019 10:31

"political shuffling." ?

I think that's the stuff that squirts out of the back of bulls isn't it ? :huh:

Farmer John 2nd March 2019 16:50

The shipping contract that should never have been and that had no ships is now going to cost £33 million because someone else wanted to be offered the chance to ... well, I'm not sure quite why but it seems to be a triumph for justice and common sense. Can anyone explain it so that it doesn't seem very odd?

BobClay 2nd March 2019 17:10

I can explain it one. The taxpayer has got f***** again because they've got an utter imbecile in charge of this particular show.

He's screwed up just about every job he's had in government, but they keep kicking him upward. My only theory on this is that they're hoping if he gets high enough, he'll be abducted by aliens !!!

Like … aliens are that stupid !?! :really_mad:

Tom Alexander 3rd March 2019 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 22006)
He's screwed up just about every job he's had in government, but they keep kicking him upward. :really_mad:

I believe that is called the "Peter Principal" -- where in any organisation, everyone rises to their own level of incompetency!

Varley 3rd March 2019 12:30

Were that true Tom I think he would have stopped before now.