Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Galley (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Those pants with the little checkers design (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5168)

ShipwreckX 24th September 2020 05:48

Those pants with the little checkers design

I saw them mostly on Scandinavian ships, galley crews wearing grey/white checkered pants, the squares were about 1/4 inch. I saw them on a few other nationalities, including British ships...anyone remember where they came from?

Engine Serang 24th September 2020 07:28

The Muppet Show?

Malcolm G 24th September 2020 08:02

Known as 'Chefs trousers', or pants in US.
Loose fitting and light, the check pattern is there to disguise spills and stains.
They can change a dirty jacket quickly but trousers stay on the whole shift.

SJB 24th September 2020 09:57

Do not know where they came from, but the Norwegian galley crew all had them, and it was called "pepita" (mustered) trousers, which may - or may not - give some indication of where they originated.

Jolly Jack 24th September 2020 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJB (Post 32984)
Do not know where they came from, but the Norwegian galley crew all had them, and it was called "pepita" (mustered) trousers, which may - or may not - give some indication of where they originated.

Hello Svein, nice to see you back on here.

JJ.

Malcolm G 24th September 2020 19:26

I have done a little research on this.

The Chef's uniform that is now known worldwide started in France in the early 19th century.
The accepted dress is;
Toque (chef's hat) to cover the hair.
White double breasted jacket to reflect heat.
Hounds-tooth check trousers to disguise spills and stains
Apron which is usually tied at the waist as extra protection.

The man who is attributed with its design was a French Chef, Marie-Antoine Carême, who was an early exponent of what later became Haute Cuisine. He cooked for Napoleon and other notables.

The idea of a kitchen uniform was carried on and exported to Britain by Escoffier. At the same time the French term 'Chef de Cuisine' (Chief cook) entered the English language as 'Chef'.

phil saul 25th September 2020 04:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShipwreckX (Post 32974)
I saw them mostly on Scandinavian ships, galley crews wearing grey/white checkered pants, the squares were about 1/4 inch. I saw them on a few other nationalities, including British ships...anyone remember where they came from?

Strangely enough, they were simply known as 'checks'.
Don't know where they originated from but you could purchase them in any crew outfitters.

ShipwreckX 25th September 2020 05:57

Thanks for your responses.

Engine Serang 25th September 2020 08:58

A Chef and Haute Cuisine was noticeably absent on most ships I've sailed on but the Cook could always rustle up a bloody good feed.

Malcolm G 25th September 2020 10:43

I recall more than one occasion hearing, in the galley, words to the effect: "Chef? What bloody Chef? All Cooks in here, this is a British ship not French, we have Cooks."

SJB 25th September 2020 10:48

It seems that in Norway at least, the terms "pepita" and "cooks trousers" are nearly interchangeable. The selection available today seems formidable: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...MGIL1PMIw&sa=X If the muster should be large, I believe they are called "golf trousers".

R58484957 25th September 2020 11:50

No fancy names in engine room, boiler suits, that’s it.

Malcolm G 25th September 2020 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by R58484957 (Post 33028)

The footwear is the same - oil resistant, non slip, toe protection, no laces.

phil saul 25th September 2020 23:03

Quote:

What's fancy about the term Chef ?!!
It's a term used and recognised around the world.
I can't cook for sh*t but I respect those who have put in years of hard graft to reach the pinnacle of their profession and Blue Flue had plenty had plenty of Chefs in their ships, I can assure you.
Regards Phil

Engine Serang 26th September 2020 08:08

Here we go again, bloody Blue Flue, We had the best of everything!!!!
Oh yes we had, Oh no you hadn't. And on we go.
Ellermans had the best cooks, oh no it was BP, oh no it was P&O, oh no it was Shaw Savill.
Oh no it was Bank Line, "Everybody"; Officers, Crew, Orchestra and Chorus; Oh no it wasn't.

Engine Serang 26th September 2020 08:15

Quote:

In Texaco, a Tip-Top Company, we had boiler suits, boilersuits, overalls and dungarees. We bought our work wear from Gieves & Hawkes and Moss Bros, no riff-raff.

Dartskipper 26th September 2020 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 33044)
In Texaco, a Tip-Top Company, we had boiler suits, boilersuits, overalls and dungarees. We bought our work wear from Gieves & Hawkes and Moss Bros, no riff-raff.

And the Captain wore a top hat and tails. The Pilot had to leave his shoes at the boarding ladder, no doubt......:big_tongue:

SJB 26th September 2020 11:26

Regarding pilots and uniformed crews, looking far from either strange or snobbish, I read this story in one of Basil Lubbock books There was this skipper who was terribly cross-eyed, and suffered greatly from it. He had heard of this medicine man in a distant port that could cure the affliction, and being a good man, when he was finally ordered to load in this port he decided others deserved to share his god fortune. Consequently he filled the whole crew list with cross-eyed men. The punch line is not really a punch line unless you have a taste for surrealism. Lubbock found it highly humorous and seriously mirth provoking to consider a pilot entering the ship and when standing on the deck finding himself surrounded by a large crew all looking the other way.

Varley 26th September 2020 11:37

Well, at the end of a long trip on a tanker sometimes a tiny bit of eccentricity (the psychological rather than mechanical kind) may emerge.

phil saul 27th September 2020 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 33043)
Here we go again, bloody Blue Flue, We had the best of everything!!!!
Oh yes we had, Oh no you hadn't. And on we go.
Ellermans had the best cooks, oh no it was BP, oh no it was P&O, oh no it was Shaw Savill.
Oh no it was Bank Line, "Everybody"; Officers, Crew, Orchestra and Chorus; Oh no it wasn't.

Wow!! A little bit sensitive aren't we ?
I mention Blue Flue because that was the company I mainly sailed with, and while most of the chefs I came across could be right pr*cks, most of them were bloody good cooks.
No reason for you to feel inferior because you didn't sail with Bluies. Not everyone could make the grade.
Regards Phil :wink:

Engine Serang 27th September 2020 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil saul (Post 33082)
Wow!! A little bit sensitive aren't we ?
I mention Blue Flue because that was the company I mainly sailed with, and while most of the chefs I came across could be right pr*cks, most of them were bloody good cooks.
No reason for you to feel inferior because you didn't sail with Bluies. Not everyone could make the grade.
Regards Phil :wink:

Phil most people say I'm as sensitive as an air raid on an orphanage, with which I disagree. However I am not unaware of Bluies standards and wish that such was normal across the MN in the 70's ans 80's.

If you have a spare few minutes have a look at "Glenlyon Class to Liverpool Bay Class" #16.

Cheers.

phil saul 28th September 2020 01:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 33083)
Phil most people say I'm as sensitive as an air raid on an orphanage, with which I disagree. However I am not unaware of Bluies standards and wish that such was normal across the MN in the 70's ans 80's.

If you have a spare few minutes have a look at "Glenlyon Class to Liverpool Bay Class" #16.

Cheers.

Blue Flue were an excellent company, and I'm glad to have been a company man and trained by them but disillusionment set in when I was logged 'a day and a day' for being 15 minutes late turning to when I missed the launch to the buoys in Yokohama by literally less than 30 seconds.
Being logged two days pay for that offence, when I had never been late for work previously, really stung, and it was all down hill from there.
Bluies were good but I much preferred my time with Federal, who were a lot more laid back and easy going.
Regards Phil

lakercapt 28th September 2020 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil saul (Post 33115)
Blue Flue were an excellent company, and I'm glad to have been a company man and trained by them but disillusionment set in when I was logged 'a day and a day' for being 15 minutes late turning to when I missed the launch to the buoys in Yokohama by literally less than 30 seconds.
Being logged two days pay for that offence, when I had never been late for work previously, really stung, and it was all down hill from there.
Bluies were good but I much preferred my time with Federal, who were a lot more laid back and easy going.
Regards Phil

That would certainly be the cause for a disillusionment and the Master must have been a right dick**ed to do that. Cetrtainly would have made me a little miffed!!!!

phil saul 28th September 2020 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakercapt (Post 33145)
That would certainly be the cause for a disillusionment and the Master must have been a right dick**ed to do that. Cetrtainly would have made me a little miffed!!!!

I was never sure whether it was down to the Ch. Steward, the Mate or the Old Man, as I got on well with all three of them and the Old Man was one of the best I ever sailed with.
No matter!! It was the beginning of the end with Bluies as far as I was concerned.
Catering never got a day off, no matter how long the trip lasted but I took a day off every trip after that, even though it cost me two days pay every time.
Happy days!!
Regards Phil