View Single Post
Old 24th February 2021, 18:43

Thanks a lot to all of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
I can speak for one vessel in that area at that time. I sailed on CP Ships bulk carrier W.C. Van Horne having joined her in February 1981. The final voyage was from Gladstone Australia to San Nicolas, Argentina (upriver from Buenos Aires.) We were carrying coal and arrived in Argentina in mid June 1981 having crossed the South Pacific and rounded Cape Horn. I paid off at that point.

I seem to remember we got close to the remotest part of the sea (Point Nemo) at the time. I also remember being on watch and hearing absolutely nothing for days on 500 KHz (international distress and calling frequency), although at night quite surprisingly distant stations could be heard.

My only Cape Horn transit and the sea was as flat as a mill pond, but we had heavy weather on the way up to the River Plate entrance.

Hi Bob,

First of all, sorry for replying you so late, I was a bit busy these days.

Second, through this post, I'd like to thanks all of you who wrote something to me here.

Third, Bob, thanks a lot for your account. It's very interesting indeed.

Then I'd like you to tell us more about this voyage. Things such as the itinerary, the crew, stopovers, maritime traffic, incidents and funny/scary things (if any) and so on.

Anything would help.

Michael