View Single Post
Old 11th June 2023, 16:26

It is far more likely to be one of those eyesore-making wheeliebins dug-in above the Cloch Light. Steaming passed that rubbish tip once a month made me realise that I knew nothing of the tastelessness of others. Here I have no tongue in cheek - whether the owners be lairds or resurrectionists it should never have been allowed. The Island does allow campervans, unfortunately, but caravans are illegal.

But. Why do we fret about how the built environment looks? (or in that case the portable environment). Surely it is more important that the vista we enjoy from inside (both that which is built and that which comes through the windows) than what one's vantage point for doing this looks like to passers-by.

I have been refused permission to replace a broken skylight because it is a 'feature'. The little green eyed jobsworth's idea of a feature marks him out one who spent more of his time as a student 'studying' particularly ugly Victorian piss-houses rather than any knowledgeable texts on Deco. The architect made sure this, then watertight, window was not generally seen. From inside only from the corridor leading to the maid's room and from the outside only if flying over yet I cannot replace it.

I suppose I have something to be grateful for. Having saved the budget for the job refusal allowed me to spend it at 'The WineCellar' instead.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan

Last edited by Varley; 11th June 2023 at 16:38.