View Single Post
Old 19th October 2019, 00:17

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the quick reply and caution - I must admit I was a wee bit curious about FWR's services and whether or not they take the money and just do an online search. That said, they did send a photo of a Crew List they searched in 1944 from kew, so I expect they were onsite and have experience. I will plan to get to Kew some day.

I've posted five of the seven documents I was sent from his Seaman's Pouch the list of ships served on was frustratingly left blank.

Reading the documents, it seems to me my father was transferring *from somewhere* to the Merchant Navy Reserve, but there's no trail for anything prior to this paperwork being kickstarted.

Dad did tell a story about a sailor on the Glenstrae who died in a weapon's malfunction which I think happened in March 1941 so it may be worth looking at the Crew List & Agreements for that time period.

Is it possible my father travelled on the Glenstrae but wasn't a "sailor"? He did qualify as an electrician and worked on land based jobs in Sri Lanka, South Africa, Hong Kong, India and South America.

Gordon