Thread: What Ship ?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 12:18

What Ship ?

Arthur Irvine, born Lerwick 5/12/1886, buried Suez 1917, he was my mother's elder brother. Cause of death "fever", whether he died shipboard or ashore in hospital is not known. there were a number of military hospitals there at that time. I am interested to know which ship he was serving on at the time. The only ship I'm aware he served on was HMS Illustrious in 1912, as I had a copy of a postcard he sent home at that time, he was probably doing reserve training as he was a merchant seaman. The "Scotland's People" site records his birth but not his death, strangely enough his namesake's death, a nephew, who drowned in Table Bay harbour while serving on the barque Lawhill 1945 is recorded there. His shipmates erected a tombstone. Not really up to searching the national archives, His death is not recorded in the GWGC archives as his death was war unrelated. Hopefully somebody out there can come up with the name of the last ship he served on. I have been curious for a while. Thanks in hopeful advance.