Thread: Cataracts
View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2023, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
Yesterday I had my first cataract removed and the lens replaced with with an artificial (I'm having trouble typing this as I recover).
The new lens shows me that I've been missing the shorter wavelenghts for some years. In the garden, the buddleia, once magenta, is now royal blue. I thought then to check my kiln-fired enamels (a hobby) and am astonished. What once looked grubby, now is ablaze with colour. The other eye will be done sometime soon.
A chap I worked with had the cataracts surgery and reported back "I can now see things in full glorious technicolor again". I had mine done a few years later and noticed that a grey-blue label had become a vivid blue. The big problem for me was the differential in focus between ops. I had become increasingly short sighted as the cataracts developed - having had normal vision while at sea as a deck officer - and had normal vision lenses fitted. For a month I could see two different sized buses depending which eye I closed. I only drove twice in that state, once to see if I was safe and the second time to take my wife the half mile to the surgery when she was suffering from a severe migraine. The surgeon wanted to keep me short sighted! I said I wanted normal and I can now walk in the rain again and not have problems with water on glasses.