View Single Post
Old 26th January 2018, 13:53

Not the Whitbread Race but I remember visiting Plymouth representing GKA at the start of one of the Single-Handed Transatlantic Yacht Races (around 1995 or so) - my job was to speak to the yachtsmen and advise them on how to use their HF radio equipment to contact GKA. We had OTF guides and RT information sheets made up for the competing yachts which I duly passed around. Entertaining day, the French yachts weren't interested (there was a chap from FFL going around doing the same thing).

One of the UK entries was an ex-army chap who had a yacht which seemed to be held together with bits of string and wood offcuts - his HF equipment was a vintage piece of military equipment incapable of operating on any of GKA's duplex RT channels, and I was seriously advised by the race organisers to gently "put him off" competing. I managed to let him have a list of GKA's simplex aero frequencies and despite my best efforts he was determined to participate.

Amazingly enough he not only managed to complete the race but made regular contact via GKA - the only yacht using the aero frequencies rather than the maritime ones. Can't recall the name of the chap or the yacht, but it was an experience nonetheless.

Plenty of other stories about Yacht comms through GKA. Will try to post some in due course.

Larry +