View Single Post
Old 17th August 2019, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomvart View Post
David, please let me apologise - as I didn't intend my comment reference design creep as derogatory to our MN counterparts, simply that I assumed that commercial building would suffer much less from the constant meddling from the multiple government agencies involved in military procurement projects, many of which are time served experts in providing the integrator with 1000's of conflicting 'Shall' requirements.
Tom! I was only teasing (and, no, I will not apologise for joking about Wednesday departures!). Tmac's report is rather eyewatering I agree but I guess 'high tech' was involved. A splendid way to increase costs or end up with something no one wants is to have a third party, time charterer, diving company etc. with their fingers contracted to the pie. For such, an 'integrator' sounds like rather a necessity. We were contracted marine consultants (already managers) or a well known diving outfit. They had signed up to a long term charter of a smallish ROV Support vessel building in Rinkoping. The owner, something of a character, had been quite willing to accept any planned modifications to facilitate the charterers needs and wants. These they announced a month or so before sea trials and were not minor. Needless to say there was a conflict and I found myself clearly on the wrong moral bank.

(Ringkoping it was usual to depart for trials aided by the town's fishing fleet as tugs aided by the fire brigade hauling from the opposite side of the dock - outfitting alongside having added the weight to put the new build on the mud).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan