Thread: My Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 6th February 2021, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey01 View Post
Regarding the DWS - when I decided to go back to sea I had been having conversations with one of my fellow colleagues. He was married to a Greek lady. I cannot remember for sure but it was through her that I ended up going foreign flag with NJ Goulandris, some family connection. The company was A1 and it was not because of them that I cut short my contract. It was during the time when Suez was closed and as we remember trips to the Gulf via the Cape. Our destination was the wonderful DasIsland. Not a lot there! Did manage to get off the ship for a short time - a walk down the jetty. The Pilot had arranged for me to visit with one of the tugs - British - and pick up some books, papers etc. By the time we had arrived back in UK our orders were for the Isle of Grain. By which time I was a little crazy. I had resigned coming up Channel and even the offer of a large pay rise did not swing it. Next trip was something like Gulf - USA. The thought of that was enough. They did promise that after that we were going on a USA - Venezuela charter. I was not convinced. Prior trips had not been bad - Norway - then Med and eventually DD in Pireaus.
I left to join Redifon and was working for them in Abadan during the six day war, another dozen years later I returned to the MN for one trip.