Thread: My Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 9th March 2021, 14:24

Thanks Neville,

Dad only began to tell me more of his experiences after he saw Capt. Tom Finch in one of the episodes of "The World at War" in the 1970's. (He had sailed with Capt. Finch and was due to join him again when Capt. Finch was selecting officers to sail with him to Trincomalee where they were to be based to provide bunkers for the submarine base should the war with Japan continue after VE Day. Dad by then had married Mum and had emergency surgery in New York, so really wanted to stay closer to home.) Even then, it was another 20 years or so before I got the whole story of the sinking of Empire Norseman. Apparently the Official record is not strictly accurate. When I asked why, since it was based on the report of the Master of the tanker, Dad said that the Master wasn't on the bridge when the torpedoes hit whereas Dad was on watch at the time. Dad's findings are now in the German Archive as a true record! However, I still think a lot of his memories went with him.

Regards,

Roy.