View Single Post
Old 4th September 2020, 11:19

Following on from Greg's post, his Mustang and my GT40 posts, I thought I'd mention about Ford and it's association with Holman & Moody. They were a NASCAR legend, building race cars and engines, almost exclusively for Ford, from the 1950s until the '70s. Apart from their NASCAR interests, they also prepared 50% of the GT40 Mk2s (427cu.inch engine) for endurance racing but particularly for the '66 to '69 LeMans. The other 50% were prepared by Carol Shelby of Mustang fame. The Mk1s (289 Mustang engine) were still prepared by Alan Mann Racing in England.
The book, "The Ford that Beat Ferrari" published in 1985, details everything about the GT40 programme but as I found out a few years ago, Holman & Moody retained all the official drawings and tooling information and licence for the Mk2 GT40s. That info remained idle, H&M not wanting to 'dilute' the family of known GT40s in ongoing classic and vintage sports car racing. That is until a few years ago, the H&M company now owned by Ralph Moody's son, decided to build a limited number of the GTs, identical in almost every respect to the LeMans winning cars. Their chassis numbers following on, adding to the list of official production cars, allowing them to race in the above mentioned races. Some of the original 1960s workers are among the present build team. Price $1.5m and to order only.
Holman & Moody have their factory in Charlotte, North Carolina, where they produce modded versions of most Ford vehicles, and especially Mustangs. They have a website, and are mentioned in others, which I have had no luck in posting here(!!!), so Google "Holman & Moody Shop Tour", if you are at all interested in more info.

JJ.