View Single Post
Old 21st June 2022, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
My Old Dear was a crossword fanatic. One day she was struggling with a quiz word version and she asked me what I thought of the clue: "What the Universe is made of."

I suggested 'Hydrogen.' (This is back in the day before 'dark matter' and 'dark energy' proved we don't know shit about what 90% of anything actually is.)

"No," she replied. "Doesn't fit." I thought nothing more of it until she completed the puzzle and told me the correct answer was: 'electricity.'

"What a load of bollocks," I commented, for which I received the IRISH DEATH GLARE (hill farm girl from Co. Limerick, came over just before WW2.)

I strategically advanced to the rear and went down the pub ...

(Can't help but think that if that clue had been right ... none of us could afford to live in this Universe anymore .... )
The Daily Mirror cartoon "The Perishers" had short series about this very topic many years ago. The children were discussing what made the World work, and some had concluded that because it was very old, it must run on clockwork. Marlon, the kid in the leather jacket didn't agree. He said it ran on electricity because he had "Seen the men putting new cables in up the road."