View Single Post
Old 5th September 2017, 19:41

I worked with an ex-R/O in the 1980s/90s who in 1997, on an arranged visit to Bletchley Park from Marconi's to view progress on the rebuilding of Colossus, spotted a reference to someone who shared his unusual surname. He mentioned this to Tony Sale (also ex-Marconi), the leader of the rebuilding team, who was familiar with the list of Post Offices engineers working under Tommy Flowers that had constructed the original Colossus during WW2. He quoted the full name of the man, which turned out to be my colleague's father!

The man had never revealed to his family of his involvement with Colossus and, when he died in 1972, his wife believed that her husband had just been a hum-drum post office engineer who maintained telephone exchange equipment. Following that original discovery my friend has found out a great deal more about his father's wartime activities, including a photograph of him with the group engineers who worked on Colossus and was able to keep his mother informed of all his findings until her death in 2002.

Recently he went to a Bletchley Park reunion and was pleased to view a brick in Bletchley Park's wall of remembrance that carries his father's name. A proud moment for him and for the nation.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.