Thread: Helmville ltd
View Single Post
Old 31st August 2019, 11:49
Super Moderator

Helmville ltd

HELMVILLE LTD.

On a recent search for photos I came across one of the Medina Princess which I have posted in the Gallery. This vessel had a very colourful career as did the shipping company or the last owners – Helmville Ltd. I will not recount the history of this vessel except to say the insurance claim was one if not the longest cases in history.
I had personnel contact with this shipping company as back in 1969/70 a friend of mine asked me if I would be interested in taking the job as RO on a new build that the company – Helmville – had under construction in Spain. He was J Wilson who was a Director of the company – although I believe he had little to do with the running and was more a British figure head to enable them to obtain Government subsidies to build new tonnage. This I think was more for them to be built in British yards – not certain of that fact. However, for the price of one built in UK they could have two built in Spain.
The one I was offered was the lead ship – David Marquess of Milford Haven – some mouthful. I have attached a copy of the letter I received from them requesting me to join this vessel. Fortunately, as it happens, I had at that time been for interviews and accepted a job with the Post Office later to become BT at Portisheadradio/GKA. The company went on the build three vessels – DMOMH – Jocelyn and Faith Euskalduna. All had major problems being arrested for non-payment of fees, wages etc. I was so glad I missed all that. I may have been OK with wages as I did have my connection with the company, knowing one of the Directors! However, on reflection probably not.
There is an interesting piece in the Merchant Navy site about the Medina Princess and I have attached the link to it. Scroll down and you will find a post by Gulliver.

https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/...-steering.html

Neville
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20190819.jpg (310.3 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Hawkey01; 31st August 2019 at 11:51.