Thread: Innumerate?
View Single Post
Old 7th June 2021, 15:48

You can also "shimmy" anything up! Just get a load of precut shims and Bob's your uncle!

I had to centre and level a thickener once in Hexham. While there is no "F" in scum skimmer, this one had one (old water treatment equipment joke)! No one from the service department was available. I was lent a "dinky" digital theodolite for the tower and the plant owner had rented a laser level/distance instrument but didn't know particularly what to do with it.

Fun and games on a freezing Saturday morning. While I got the shims right in thickness and had a handy drawing for them to be cut from A-316, it was only when we came to install them that I realized that they had to be installed on the diagonally opposite leg to what I had calculated! All went well and the client was pleased.

It was only when I got to a nearby pub to get something to eat prior to my drive home that I realized I was in the first stages of hypothermia. I had never imagined that the NE was colder in winter than Loch Striven in July!

To cap it off, the missus wanted to go to Sainsbury's when I arrived back but, in the rush, no one had brought a door key. We had to break in!

Rgds.
Dave