View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:54

I have been called upon, more than once, to deal with a 'device' with an expanded Lithium ion battery.
With a lap-top or similar it is just a case of replacement and proper disposal of the old.
With tablets or mobile phones the battery is nowadays usually built in and when it expands can even take out the screen.
Being wary of this technology I have, of course, read up a little to ensure my own safety.
It appears that the primary triggers to ignition are either mechanical damage - direct or vibration, or heating - external or internal due to shorting, overcharging etc. or 'Manufacturing defect'.
This has presented me with a dilemma because the built in batteries are held into case with adhesive. The normal method of dealing with this adhesive is heat, not a good idea perhaps. So, gently ease them out trying not to cause any damage...

Regarding Lithium ion batteries in a fire situation. It can self ignite: One cell can overheat and produce inflammable gasses, adjacent cells heat up and a thermal runaway starts, the heat can be enough to ignite the gases. Not only that but as the cathode breaks down it releases Oxygen!
So there you have it: The complete 'Fire triangle' in its own compact box.
The batteries do not contain Lithium as a metal and it is not a class D fire. Apparently this has caused some confusion with partly trained firefighters.
They are in class B - fire involving combustible liquids. But, as mentioned, oxygen reduction is not very effective and the main effort has to be in cooling. On a ship there is only so much water that you can use before the ship stability comes into play!