View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2022, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
That is a great poem, Alick - and one I'd not met before. I particularly enjoyed:

Or when you return
Browner than Alexander, from Malta,
Where you have leaned over the side, in harbour,
And seen in the clear water
The salmon tins, wrecks and tiny explosions of crystal fish,

I've just heard Causley read this at:https://www.discogs.com/release/1222...oems-1951-1975
It's the third poem in.
Thank you, Harry and for the link, which I have been listening to just now. I agree with your choice of the extract, which reminds me of Malta and the Far East.

I also love Timothy Winters and the Ballad of the Breadman, which I have stored on my PC with CC reading them. Wonderful good old Cornish voice.

Have you read Hands to Dance and Skylark, which is his short story (less than 200 pages) of his service in the RN?

We have visited his father's tiny village of Trusham in the Teign valley, which CC knew well, not far from where we live.

I must admit that I have only stumbled upon this thread after being a member of Shipping History for years (and SN before that).

I have just finished writing my life from a small boy to my service in the RN in a book, which I am currently proof reading, hopefully for the last time. Book Printing UK will be printing a short run for me. I wanted to sell it but am finding it a bit of a hurdle and haven't even got the ISBN, etc sorted yet. It's a labour of love which I should have done years ago when I was younger.

I hope I don't get penalised for breaking copyright laws by printing Chief Petty Officer ... (Seems to me that everything is a sin these days)

Alick