View Single Post
Old 24th November 2022, 14:47

HM was kind enough to accept my apologies (well, I am sure he would have). I was, anyway, at John Taylor's last evening for a 'do' with HM's local rep. (I was not introduced but hope to be on the 1st, at another 'do'. I was on teasing terms with the last fella, decent type).

As for vintage port you should not ask a dedicated alcoholic, when it comes to port we only take the cheap stuff. It is our cognac habit that is prohibitive. I have just taken a delivery of a case of colheita, Calem 2010 (Eur 20.6, delivery 19.0 but I expect a GBP 90 bill from DHL for customs formalities). Even that is a bit too pricey for everyday so I topped off today with three bottles of Sainsbury's Tawny when doing the weekly shopping.

I am not sure if it is not really my pocket talking but I prefer BS Tawny to vintage - they are different drinks but I am sure HM's guests will not have held this minor deficiency against him).

(Nothing about my nephew is educated despite the efforts of his grandfather. Brother hated proper school and swore his son would not have to endure it. A grave error of judgement (or perhaps a careful budgetary outlook, the music of a distant drum is sometimes a true tune unappreciated).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan