View Single Post
Old 14th November 2020, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
I sailed on a couple of Bank Boats. The DF was situated in the Radio Room (much to my disgust.) The DF was still on ships when I left the sea in 1986, although I'll admit it wasn't used that much by then. But it was still there.

There's nothing wrong with a DF if it's used properly (very much like the radar.) As the early Satnav system came in (the old polar orbiters, very much pre-GPS) I met the same prejudices to the point where one Captain said it was 'utter rubbish.'

Yeah ... right !!!

We had one old dodger of a captain who was still stuck in the fifties, this was 1986, who still demanded sights morning noon and night just to piss us off!
I wasnt allowed to do chart corrections on the afternoon 12-4???? So I did them on the 0000-0400 with the chart room curtains closed. No idea how he thought I got 6 weeks corrections for 21 folios done.

In the higher latitudes the dopler type sat navs were good, positions every 45 miunutes but nearer the equator could have been eight hours if the satallites were at the wrong altitude, better than two days without seeing the sun and running on DR by my books.