View Single Post
Old 1st July 2021, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Dave, your remind me!

A class of LPG/Ethylene semi refs. One in dock and being surveyed it was revealed that the standby set would not start on MSB blackout unless the ESB was live. Much leafing of inadequate documentation led to the fact that the auxy engines LO priming pumps were fed from the ESB and that standby starting was not allowed unless the LO pressure was at some prerequisite level.

One of our chiefs would have been able to provide you with another 'as found' generator replacement (not Yanmar). He had the consummate luxury of four machines but was unwise enough to tell my leader, when we were visiting, that he had been told that the fourth was available for 'spares'. He was sent packing along with his favourite footwear, bedroom slippers.
Sounds like one refrigerated Container Ship I sailed on, to carry a full reefer load with the usual selection of chilled and deep frozen North from NZ, you needed 3 reefer compressors - the vessel was constructed with 5 sets of Hall's finest. One set had been out of use and as you describe used for spares with the Office's knowlege. One set was broken - the vessel superintendent knew this but had kept this information from the higher levels in Fleet Management (Including the Boss Engineer Super). We had just finished loading full fridge in Port Chalmers when one set failed, the cause was eventually traced to a failed oil cooler allowing the refrigerant side to fill up with sea water, (The fault finding only took the best part of a day, cleaning and drying the refrigerant side allowed us 14 days in PC however!!