View Single Post
Old 11th September 2021, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hayden View Post
re: Never flown in a helicopter, never will. They're unnatural, unaerodynamic, unmechanical creations.

I flew on one helicopter a Pan Am from the roof of the Manhattan Pan Am building to La Guardia Airport February 1968. I had a window seat and was looking at the roof of the building when the helo just kind of slid sideways and suddenly I could see WAY down.

1971 1 A/E on Seatrain Maine we had a flock of various sizes of US Army helicopters in the holds. They came equipped with a five man US Army enlisted mechanics contingent commanded by a Sergeant. They were constantly monitoring the health of their charges.

Discharging in 'Nam @ Newport as each helo was lifted from the hold to the pier alongside the mechanics fitted the propellers and the helo's were flown off the dock.

When they were all done and the mechanics contingent was ready to leave I was surprised to see that they left via truck. I asked the Sergeant and he said that he fixes helo's but NEVER flew them - too many moving parts ready to fail at a moments notice
Greg, those propellers are called Rotor Blades