View Single Post
Old 16th September 2021, 16:46

I was noting some of the comments in the gallery about the BBC drama series 'Vigil' and thought not to answer, as I'm quite enjoying it.

Yes, I know, utterly far fetched. The thought of dropping a police detective onto a strategic nuclear submarine on active patrol is pretty ludicrous to start with, but come on guys, it's a yarn, a story, a bit of drama. You're not supposed to question the background of it, just enjoy the concept. (I don't know of any seafarer I've ever met who would tell a story of their time at sea that didn't have a bit of dramatical licence built into it.)

I remember when Tony Scott directed 'The Crimson Time,' the US navy offered absolutely no support to the film, (which they often did for films like 'Run Silent Run Deep' and so on) but it was a story, fantasy if you like, but there's not that much wrong with a bit of fantasy now and again. (Hence, Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, so long as it's done well.)

A lot of people like watching dramas like 'Inspector Morse' and 'Endeavour.' Hard to believe you might think that Oxford is one of the murder capitals of the world.

I've just finished binge watching 'The North Water' on the BEEB. Production wise you simply can't knock it. The cast is brilliant (personally if I was joining that ship and saw Stephen Graham was the Old Man, I'd be back down the gang plank sharpish. And he was one of the 'good guys.' (ish)

I've crossed a trip on a 19th century whaling ship off my bucket list. And I have to tip my hat to Colin Farrell who apparently ate like a horse for months in order to stout out for playing one of the most horrible bastards at sea you can imagine. (And yes, I've met a few.)