View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
I will never forget one time we were to offload wheat from a vessel coming from the USA. The weather was bad and the pilotage at Hook of Holland suspended but you could enter the port if you wish. Having been there many times I opted to go in rather than wait outside tossing about. We t right in and went to the berth allocated without a pilot. When the agent came on board he would not accept my NOR as the holds had not been inspected. They were clean and dry as per CP and the inspector said they were not ready. Two further inspections were required before I blew a gasket and called another inspector. The reason was the ship with the cargo was delayed and we would go on demurrage. Anyway, when the ship did arrive several days later I had my mates take photographs of the cargo which had water damage. Also took samples of this before we were chased off. When we finished loading the agent came on board all smiles and full of bonhomie with the B/Ls to be signed. Now the fun part is I would not sign clean B/Ls as I had proof the cargo was damaged. No way I told him as you tried to screw me with the NOR so now what do you do.
Three days we sat in port before the company told me to sail for the destination without the signed B/L. On arrival at the destination, I had the hatches inspected and found no water had entered and asked the receiver for the B/ls and of course he could not produce them but gave him samples and the photographs and we were allowed to discharge free of all blame. I never trusted the men from the Netherlands again.
I wouldn't either Bill.