View Single Post
Old 15th April 2021, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictheeagle View Post
I recently read that she only cost 130 million to build (as part of a multi ship construction program) so if I were the owner I should suggest that the Egyptian authorities kept her. That should save the owners a fortune. Let the owners of the cargo sue Egypt for the return of their property. After all, the cargo owners had no responsibility for the accident. Or am I missing some major legal difficulty here? Deep down I have a feeling that this issue will rumble on for years until either sanity sets in or the lawyers get very rich.
Time to play hard ball with the SCA and Egyptian Authorities? If they will not wait until the results of an official investigation based upon VDR and other data to make a claim based upon objective facts and actual costs, then if they can get the crew off, just abandon the ship. The ship has a value of around $100 million. Don't give in to blackmail or bribery.
Maersk, MSC, CMA, Hapag Lloyd, HMM, COSCO and EverGreen are big enough to take on the Egyptians? Its in all their interest to do so, as a similar event could easily occur to one of their ships...but have they got the balls to do so? Avoiding use of the canal for a few months would probably be an effective coercement.