View Single Post
Old 24th August 2020, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
Thanks FJ. They are going up in value now and collectible. There was one featured on the programme "Chasing Classic Cars".

Roy, on the above programme, CCC, The Judge GTOs are highly collectible and seen at many US auctions, as are all makes from the 'Muscle Car' era.

Getting back to GT40s, I only ever saw one on the road. I was driving through Much Wenlock, not far from where I lived in about 1969, when this orange beast came up behind and followed me into the town where it parked and a woman got out. I never thought that much of it until years later.
Being on shift at work, I had some part of every day free, so in the late '70s I started a mobile engine tuning business, similar to Hometune. I bought a used Crypton Tuner complete with exhaust gas analyser and I did quite well. One of the things I did was fit Weber Carb conversion kits.
One day I got a call by a woman to do a tune-up on a Ford. When I got there (Much Wenlock), I was met by a Mrs Childs (Glynis) who showed me into her garage and there was this bright orange GT40, reg No. B 33. I was a bit stunned, but she said that because I had advertised Weber conversions, could I tune the ones on this! I lifted the rear end (of the car!) and was faced with a set of 4 twin choke IDS Webers atop the 4.7 V8 Ford motor. Not that that was unexpected but it could have been just a 4 barrel Holley or similar, as was sometimes fitted to the 'road cars'. Anyway, I did the job but a request for me to road test it was refused! She was happy with it though. She had bought the car as a race car, Chassis No. 1073 but it was road registered. It had been owned by Alan Mann Racing and she had bought it from him. We kept in touch until I moved from the area. After meeting Glynis, I did see it race a few times at Oulton Park in club events, being driven by a Mike Wright.

JJ.