View Single Post
Old 8th August 2022, 13:33

Hi George glad you enjoyed my stories and it took a while to compile and organize. My wife who was a school teacher did the editing and sorting of the rambling.
The requirements for sailing on the "Great Lakes" were at the time based on UK certificates. When I immigrated I went to Transport Canada and presented my qualifications to their examiner. After a long discussion and questions, I was granted Canadian certificates of competency. Then I had to sail on ships to gain Canadian experience and complete the trips required to get the pilotage exemptions. That was extensive and I was pleased that I had spent time on Robertsons of Glasgow on their ships which gave me lots of ship handling and pilotage experience.
Getting knowledge of the many ports and berths plus the rivers and canals was especially extensive. Getting the time in then as an extra captain sailing with an experienced captain watching how to do work and letting you try your hand at the many apects of this special area. My first trips on my own were stressful but it became easier as I gained more time in "the front window"
I really did enjoy this time in my career and am pleased to be included in this special group of ship captains a very talented group of ship handlers.
Should anyone wish a copy of my stories send me a PM and I will send you a copy which you can download.