View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2017, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
The land claims by the first nations is becoming a joke which if I am to understand it means they were all over the place called Canada. Even the word of a person that dreamed that a bear was a scared symbol he though was protecting sacred burial grounds. When are we going to stop these so called claims. Maybe soon some so called band will claim my property as an ancient hunting ground.
They receive massive amounts of cash from the Government, pay no taxes and are forever complaining about some preceived wrong inflicted on ""My people"
I don't know about you folk who live in what we Westerners regard as the Far East, but having reviewed the Douglas Treaty, and what ensued, a lot of Indian claims, I believe, are well founded. For quite some time they were opressed. Only recently with better education, they are building a far better future and have built many of their reserve lands into self supporting enterprises. There is still a lot of squalor and poverty on some revervations, but things are gradually improving. Our local band have just broken ground on a new medical centre on their reserve. It will not only serve band members, but others who live in the area.

Realistically I don't think any chief expects to reposses any of their original lands, even ones with whiteman's houses on -- they would like reasonable compensation -- look at it as back rent if you will.

The major problem is that there are a few chiefs who act like Robert Mugabes and skim most of the band cash allotments, leaving the majority of their band in poverty. I think that gradually even the bad apples will get weeded out.