View Single Post
Old 18th August 2019, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Tom! I was only teasing (and, no, I will not apologise for joking about Wednesday departures!). Tmac's report is rather eyewatering I agree but I guess 'high tech' was involved. A splendid way to increase costs or end up with something no one wants is to have a third party, time charterer, diving company etc. with their fingers contracted to the pie. For such, an 'integrator' sounds like rather a necessity. We were contracted marine consultants (already managers) or a well known diving outfit. They had signed up to a long term charter of a smallish ROV Support vessel building in Rinkoping. The owner, something of a character, had been quite willing to accept any planned modifications to facilitate the charterers needs and wants. These they announced a month or so before sea trials and were not minor. Needless to say there was a conflict and I found myself clearly on the wrong moral bank.

(Ringkoping it was usual to depart for trials aided by the town's fishing fleet as tugs aided by the fire brigade hauling from the opposite side of the dock - outfitting alongside having added the weight to put the new build on the mud).
David, Ringkoping sounds like it was an expensive Scandinavian job, I did some work with Saabs yard (Kockums) in Carlskrona on the Visby and Gavle class ships a few years back, I recall that the costs involved were eye watering! Health and safety costs alone seemed stupendous as most Scandinavians take it very seriously.

That's certainly a novel method of bringing a ship out of the basin too, using the Fishing fleet for towing - pricey?

Nicholas Monsarrat