View Single Post
Old 8th August 2019, 10:54

Tom, of course I get that - Governments should not spend outside the family unless they have to. But you cannot expect any industry to standby for your exclusive business when commercial conditions make it impossible to have a market outside that very limited customer base (in reality, one).

I still think there is mileage in trying to build something else with the same technology. Houses, after all, should be watertight and had mine been built in blocks and hoisted onto site it might be. Unfortunately it isn't but that is another story.

To say the far east has achieved superiority simply by economy of scale is not really the driver. How do you build scale unless you are trading up. It is the cost of labour that allowed that. The one thing that the West could not have controlled (could we have had an underclass of workers unable to support themselves because of the risen living expectations of their neighbours? Wait, perhaps there is mileage in that. Import the workers, like the NHS and care industry. I fear that would do nothing for our reputation for the product, which like many others posting was an achievement of the trades rather than the management and direction).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan

Last edited by Varley; 8th August 2019 at 10:56.