View Single Post
Old 28th September 2018, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
Drove up to Edinburgh today. The M6 between Stafford and Manchester is right out of Mordor on Middle Earth. I think Sauron is alive and well and living somewhere near Crewe, and bringing darkness upon that motorway. Mile after mile of roadworks ….. (one sign said: 'Roadworks for the next 18.7 miles.' 50mph speed limit, narrow lanes that disappear, concrete rails everywhere, a bloody panzer division would have a job to get through it.)
And that, dear Bob, is the "death stretch" of the M6! To visit the old people, I would do the M1, A50, cut through Stafford, Crewe and then take the back roads (passing The Headless Woman Pub) to pick up the M53 at Chester and then up to the top of The Wirral.

You mentioned Stourbridge the other day - Between 2001 and 2006, I returned to the UK for work reasons. I started off working in Congleton, then Kettering, Rugby and then another change to Stourbridge at the Jones and Attwood premises, which had been bought out and entered the portfolio of water treatment companies within the company.

That place was straight out of Dickens: For example, they had to return their pencil stub or empty Biro in order to be issued a new one. Also, at lunch time, a bell would ring and everybody had to leave the building, the front door being locked, until the bell was rung, door opened and everybody filed back in after lunch. Completely weird! I also saw one day "apparitions" in the yard behind the offices, in and around the old casting bay area (cast iron pipes were originally made there).

When they wanted to move me again, as my contract commitment was up, I decided to leave and came back to Mexico. The high point was most of 2002 to July 2003 when I lived and worked in Madrid. That was a fantastic, family friendly experience (my daughters were 6 and 2 y/o then).

Rgds.
Dave