View Single Post
Old 15th December 2017, 11:03

Where's everyone gone?

Came across some some old photo albums so thought I would share a couple from almost 40 years ago.
Both from the Ibn Asakir first half of 1978

First one starting from the right.
Me, myself JE - the really white one!
Ali (I think) the Iraqi engine room cadet - he became Spanish in Durban (Apartheid) and Paul Thistlethwait in Kaoshiung - Paul lent him his shore pass as the Taiwanese didn't like Saddam's friends, even then.
Paul Thistlethwait 3E - if you know Paul nothing need be said.
Last - I give up - anyone got any ideas?

Second One

Engine Room - changing Bottom-end Bearing? It had been running hot.

The Gentlemen is Faisil the 12-4 Donkeyman and supplier of Bandari Curry and Chapatis to the 12-4 engineers - has to be the reason why I remembered his name after all these years.
He started his seagoing career during the Second World War as stoker in BI Line (and still had the biceps to prove it) getting torpedoed and sunk twice.
In one watch (On the Asakir) he managed to kill 140 Kuwaitis with an oily rag and piled them up on the table - sorry that should have been Kuwaiti Flies.
On another occasion I thought the Generator flat was on fire, but he had forgotten that his potatoes were baking on the Generator Turbocharger and were smoking heavily!
A real character - hopefully still living out hie retirement in Karachi - he would be in his 90's now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IbnAsakir1978-001.jpg (336.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IbnAsakir1978-002.jpg (322.1 KB, 101 views)