View Single Post
Old 25th December 2020, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
Thanks a lot. No I am not searching for the history of a particular ship, I just found myself wondering how it was done. something you have answered very satisfactorily. Of course the shipowners also had to get freights for their ships, and before telegraphs and telephones the captain was endowed with power to do this when far from home, ad so it would be natural for him to inform the owner if he heard of a good buy among ships offered for sale The situation may be different for the British, whose trade were largely domestic, even on the other side of the world. And whose ships were quite often first owned. But as soon as was possible, the Norwegian shipowners probably got hold of the publications you mention. Vwery interesting that Turnbulls Register, I had never heard of it before now.
I was going to share the registration documentation just so you could see how each ship was registered Stein, I am happy that I managed to answer your question!

From about 1860 each merchant ship in the UK was also given a Port Registration Number (or PRN), for the local port it was registered at, then for each successive voyage it also had to have crew agreements, this document listed the crew names, rates held during the voyage, pay and allowances alongside (and if the crew member died (or survived) on the voyage), it also detailed the route and ultimate discharge port, these were also Board of Trade documents and many of them are still available from a number of archives - some of them are very interesting historically.

Nicholas Monsarrat