View Single Post
Old 24th September 2020, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I remember Not sure the Stones were the original artistes. It remains one of the few bits of modern mammy Blue from a bar in my first trip and first visit to Rotterdam (Texaco Denmark). Music that I can appreciate..
The point was that Mammy Blue was something that two of us felt you needed the Stones harshly doing their thing to eradicate. Though listening to the eradication-means, "Brown Sugar", today I do not think the Stones were worth the jukebox cost.

Btw, the left leaning newspaper (Dagbladet) that I read in my youth had two charts, one for Pop, where the Beatles was listed, and one for Rock where the Stones figured among a lot of Afro-american musicians. (In the pop charts there were only Whites.) The roots to American blues were somewhat sanctifying to the people who were religious about popular music. Beatles and ABBA, and especially the Monkeys, were considered purely commercial and so dishonest. Later on, after the Disco craze, Bob Marley would receive the same accolades, for playing directly from the heart and the soul and a superior insight the meaning of life.

I myself have doubts about all religious attitudes to music. I once heard two old Jewish ladies who had survived a death camp wonder how the camp commander could be so cruel - when he had such a sensitive ear for the great composers! (They could hear his record player through an open window in his office,)

Last edited by SJB; 24th September 2020 at 15:40.