View Single Post
Old 13th May 2017, 21:45

In July 1967 with starting at Leith Nautical College coming up in September I needed some money to supplement my grant. (Students could get grants in those days.) I'd done a couple of years at sea as an Engine Room Rating, and from the Shipping Federation Office on Pier Head I got a job for two trips on the Empress of Canada signing on as a 'wiper.'

I can remember my Dad asking me what a 'wiper' did, a question which I found very funny.

I did a month on her and the first Atlantic crossing was as 'peggy' cleaning the ER's accommodation, and also the cabin of a high petty officer (can't remember what his rank actually was) who was known onboard as the 'Aga Khan.' Some ex Canadian Pacific people might know the name.

The second crossing I actually got down the engine room cleaning mainly down there. So my last trip as a rating was with Canadian Pacific.

Years later after sparkying for CP Ships from 76 to 86 I came ashore. So my last ship in that job was Canadian Pacific !!

Not many sparkies can say there were a peggy for the Aga Khan I bet, although being a Sparks was a far far better job than the dreaded peggying.