View Single Post
Old 18th May 2017, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Without question, the very worst job at sea was the sailor's peggy on a Bluey.
Anyone who ever experienced this hellish existence as a sea going drudge, spending ten hours a day scrubbing alleyways and bathrooms, messroom and rec room, serving all the meals and washing up all the dishes after the crowd had eaten, will agree. Throwing the contents of the rosie into a shit chute on the poop, then throwing the contents of your stomach after it. It went on, seven days a week for months on end without any sort of respite.
You either quit after your first trip as many did, or you survived and got promotion to Junior ordinary seaman after 9 months seatime.
Pat cannot remember his name now but the peggy and I were very close in our jobs as young boys and alway went ashore together .in yokohama just up the road from the berth was an american diner for their personal and we went inside .guy looked at us and said you are not personal what are you doing hear peggy replied we are from that british ship at the dock down there,and would like to taste a hamburger please .he said sit in the corner and brought the biggest thing we'd ever saw with a mountain of what they called french fries salad and cold slaw and large coke "really did not know what it was" what an experience for 2 young scouse lads and best of all it was free .could not thank him enough .he said nice to meet 2 young limeys ,have a good trip back home I will be going home in 2 months my self thank god 1955