View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomvart View Post
Very Interesting Alaric, I am intrigued with the reason for making a sternboard out of the River Tyne?

A little nerve wracking, even in a ship you were fully familiar with, let alone a new ship on Sea Trials! The menacing Black Middens lying submerged off the north shore at high water - waiting to rip the guts out of any unsuspecting ship.......The Middens have claimed many a ship over the years - many old wives tales locally of a satanic
I spent a great deal of my childhood in that area, I recall that those rocks are quite dreadful and always used to spook me as a youngun - maybe it was the scary tales from my North Shields born Granny that did it for me - but I was always 'a bit scared' when entering or leaving the Tyne.
I remember a Houlder bulk carrier, the Oregis, had been converted to an offshore support vessel around 1973(?) at Smiths Dock. She was leaving after many months in the yard and ended up very high and very dry on the Black Middens Perhaps they should have tried going out stern first