View Single Post
Old 20th July 2023, 20:54

I have one of those John. Very useful for catching drips from the roof in the garden shed! Also, when I was selling industrial chemicals I was asked to visit a potential customer looking for a better release agent. They were producing Kevlar helmets and body armour for export to armies and police forces. The project they wanted me to help them with was part of an order for the South African Army. (This was in the 1990's.) They had produced a couple of hundred standard helmets, but needed a few dozen helmets made to a heavier spec. (i.e. more layers of Kevlar.) They had tried to make these using the same mould used for the standard helmets, but were having trouble getting a clean release. (The mould was a two part item, with a female section for the outside of the helmet, and a male section for a smooth finish on the inside.) One release agent in the range I could offer helped reduce the number of rejects, but the mouldings were still difficult to get out of the open mould. The workers had been as communicative and helpful as they could, but finally I had to ask why they needed a heavier and thicker helmet than the standard issue item. "These are for the officers," they replied.