View Single Post
Old 30th April 2017, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Likewise J and for a moment thought "hallo hallo" until I recognised that familiar old sig..
One thing about these MN sites is you live and learn and as Jack Tar ashore (asap) I never gave a thought to who did all the preparation for cargo discharge @ Gladstone.
Always thought it would have been done by the aboard BF crew so why a shore gang?
There were no deck crew on board in Liverpool or Birkenhead until sailing day, we were all on leave.
So, Holts had two large shore gangs, one based at Vittoria Dock and the other at Gladstone Dock.
The shore gang boarded inbound vessels in the locks and by the time the ship was alongside the berth, they had everything ready for the dockers to start working cargo.
Similarly when a ship was preparing for sea, the shore gang covered the hatches and battened everything down. a few stayed on board until the locks if necessary.
When I was in the Birkenhead shore gang, there were over fifty men in it and the shore bosun was Sid Bainbridge.
Other duties were shifting ship from one dock to another, which happened fairly often, and to man the quayside and locks to handle the moorings, a miserable job at midnight in a gale on Gladstone Lock bullnose.
We also renewed mooring ropes and rigging, loaded stores, rigged heavy lift gear for the dockers when necessary, and performed any other tasks as required.
Regards
Pat