View Single Post
Old 1st May 2017, 15:09

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony allen View Post
there was a catering shore gang at oddessey .there always seemed to 3 ships in victoria docks at the same time .one ready for sea. one from gladstone and one from coasting.after leave we reported to mr sparrow.jobs were soogying the alleyways after the chinease catering had left the ship.changing mattresses..that to get called in after he had looked at you reports from the last trip re the chefs and chief stewards also to see who had been at sea at christmas and give you one that would be back or vice versa.once you had been assigned a ship the days before sailing .it was store loading .the the shore gang would load it on deck in slings if poss .but spuds were always on ya back.small kegs of beer which we never saw again ,was always for the upper bar ,bond was loaded under the eye of the black gang and first mate and chief steward .no chance of a swiped one.when i was told to sign on the first day before sailing was to go thru the food and fridge lockers to check the stores lists with the chef .always had a good meal tho.while on the gang .and see mates that were also signing on.never remember sailing in daylight was always in the dark .got my head down soon as aboard knowing it was a 6am call the first day and get back into a sea going routine...do it all again great gangs of lads
5 years got my education on blue funnel..cheers
Tony,
I recall the catering shore gang in Birkenhead, and Mr Sparrow, bowler hat and glasses. They were always nagging the dockers to hoist stores aboard at No 4 hatch rather than handball up the gangway, and I dont blame them for that,
Do you remember the major inspection of the accommodation carried out by all the shoreside functionaries on sailing day. Sparrow was part of that crew, plus the woman who designed all the cabin furnishings and matching bedding/bunk curtains. She also chose the handful of 45rpm gramophone records which were placed in the crew rec room, usually the current top ten and a couple of highbrow classical ones which generally ended up in Vittoria Dock before we even set sail.
my abiding memory of sailing day on a Bluey was the pervasive smell of French polish in all the accommodation, and the stench of gas oil out on deck.
As you say Tony, they always seemed to sail at night, and usually in foul weather.
Best regards Pat.
PS the clarity of vision in my right eye only 5 days since the cataract was removed is nothing short of astonishing. I can drive and watch tv without specs for the first time in years.

Last edited by Pat Kennedy; 1st May 2017 at 22:13.