View Single Post
Old 19th August 2019, 14:55

I think we are both pointing at the reason. Ensure one's government gets the best attentions We'll deal with the also runs in guarantee (and if not we will be very well paid to provide ongoing support).

Having at least one other player of the same grade might improve the QC amongst those on commercial contracts.

As I said I am sure it is not only them. I was reading aloud from the logic diagram of an ethylene carrier's controls (by Flemming's - I did not grow up reading logic diagrams so the lips were moving). "Both glycol pumps must be running before the compressor can start". Overheard by a colleague who had commanded the ship concerned "David, I don't care what that diagram says the compressor can be started with only one running!". The documentation was simply without any version control (the diagrams themselves, of course, generated from the software). There may even have been no correct version as the gas plant technicians/engineers had access to change it locally.

I also have a hobby horse to do with having ETOs (or whatever we want to call them - E/O was fine with me although I was a grander ECO earlkier when there were gas turbines to play with) with certificated competence. What I do not expect of them is divination or other necromancy - how can they tend a plant if the bloody drawings are wrong?
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan