Thread: Cunard
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2022, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohl57 View Post
Actually QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 was not ordered or initially operated by Trafalgar House as they did not acquire Cunard until...1 July 1971, or a full two years after she entered service. The name was the choice of Sir Basil Smallpeice of the "old" Cunard Line Ltd.

Of course, we all know that H.M. the Queen did not bother reading the card she was given for the launch and caused quite a stir in Scotland when she named the ship QUEEN ELIZABETH THE SECOND. I wonder what happened to that card....

All around, I suspect they wished they had just named her MAURETANIA or AQUITANIA!
Thanks for the clarification, I was working from memory after reading (many years ago) the book by Smallpeice. I think it was titled "Of Comets and Queens" (?).
It was a very interesting read with criticisms of British Government attitudes to our shipping and airline industries. He commented on the naming of QE2.