Thread: Young soldiers
View Single Post
Old 6th September 2023, 20:38

My great grandfather (mother's side) was a haulier and cartier, out of a stable adjacent to the Penny Bridge (entrance to Bidston Dock, for those who know the Wallasey/B'head Docks). Hence, my grandfather had a huge collection of horse brasses and always had an affinity for cart/shire horses.

My great grandfather served in WW1 in a transport regiment, given his civilian specialty. He made it to Sgt. and survived the war. after being shipped back to England, he was posted somewhere in the North East and, when leave came due, he returned to Wallasey to be with his family. Unfortunately, he came down sick on leave and died. It would appear that he was a victim of Spanish Flu, given the symptoms mentioned in a newspaper report on his untimely death. He received a military funeral, his coffin being carried on a gun carriage, to Rake Lane Cemetery in Wallasey. The upkeep of his grave is the responsibility of the War Graves Commission. My mother (RIP) never knew of this story until my grandmother died and she was clearing out her house. As she picked up a book stored in a sideboard, a press cutting fell out. The article related to the funeral procession and included a photograph showing her father and uncle, young lads not in their teens yet, marching behind the gun carriage.

Rgds.
Dave